How to make perfect peas
- Soak in cold water until peas are completely reconstituted, with all wrinkles removed.
- If you use soda or pea steeping tablets to soften the pea skin, to allow quicker water uptake, dissolve the measure in hot water and stir into cold water mass.
- In hot weather always place steeping vessel in a cool place, ideally with air movement.
- Remember that peas are a harvested vegetable. as with any other vegetable preparation check for any stray stones or waste matter.
Do NOT oversteep ...
- Do NOT oversteep (9 - 12 hours should normally allow full reconstitution).
- Note: If a ‘scum’ develops on top of the steeping water, the peas have been over steeped and if they smell they have gone ‘sour’ and no amount of cooking will soften them ... start again!
Rinse and Cook ...
- Rinse the steeped peas and place in fresh water.
- Bring up to the boil and allow to simmer to cook through.
- DO NOT BOIL for this will ‘skin’ the peas.