* * UPDATE FOR 2019 * *
National Fish and Chip Awards
V.A.Whitley are, and have been, a proud sponsor of the National Fish & Chip Awards for 12 years. Now in their 32nd year, the National Fish & Chip Awards recognise and reward businesses producing the best fish and chips across the UK. The Awards aim to support the wider fish frying trade in its effort to maintain and develop market share in the quick service/takeaway/fast food market - and seek to:
- reward individual excellence in a range of different Award categories.
- raise quality standards and provide a benchmark for businesses to aspire to (performance feedback is provided to all entrants).
- provide a robust platform from which to undertake a wide variety of media activity promoting the sector and its many diverse facets, and to encourage the continued consumption of fish and chips amongst both the UK population and visitors to the UK.
There is a variety of Award categories to enter and businesses are appraised on criteria ranging from sustainable sourcing practices, customer service, hygiene and staff training, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, the quality of fish and chips.
Why enter the Awards?
- Entering the Awards is easy and the accolade of being judged one of the best fish and chip businesses in the UK can have an enormous positive impact on businesses. Previous Award Winners have seen their sales increase by up to 100% within weeks of winning.
- Media activity undertaken by Seafish in relation to the Awards generates fantastic publicity for the fish and chip sector.
- Various judging rounds eventually culminate at a prestigious Awards ceremony in London in January where all the Award Winners are announced.
Boost to Business
The accolade of being shortlisted in the Awards can have an enormous positive impact on business - previous Regional Winners’ of the flagship Independent Takeaway Fish and Chip Shop of the Year Award category have seen their turnover increase by up to 50% and some past National Winners have seen their turnover increase by as much as 100%!
However, at every stage of the Awards there are fantastic local PR and marketing opportunities for businesses just by being part of the Awards.
Travel and Learn
In a number of Award categories, shortlisted businesses also have the opportunity to join various all-expense-paid industry study visits, providing the opportunity to learn more about where our seafood comes from. Previous visits have included trips to destinations including Norway and North East Scotland.
2019 Fish and Chip Shop of the Year Winners - Krispies, Exmouth
The National Fish & Chip Awards encompasses a variety of different Award categories:
Independent Takeaway Fish and Chip Shop of the Year Award
Open to all independent fish and chip businesses with a takeaway facility
Independent Fish and Chip Restaurant of the Year Award
Open to all independent fish and chip restaurants.
Best Mobile Fish and Chip Operator Award
Open to operators of mobile fish and chip businesses.
Best Multiple Fish and Chip Operator Award
Open to fish and chip operators with three or more outlets including franchises.
Best Newcomer Award
Open to fish and chip operators that are new to the industry and that have been in operation since no earlier than 2 years prior to entry.
Staff Training and Development Award
Open to all fish and chip businesses.
Best Foodservice Operator Award
Open to all foodservice operators that serve fish and chips but where fish and chips is not their core offering - such as pubs, cafes, department stores, hotels, travel and leisure.
From Field to Frier Award
Open to all fish and chip businesses and gives the opportunity to be recognised with regards to their knowledge and handling of potatoes.
Drywite Young Fish Frier of the Year Award
Open to all applicants who are aged 25 years or younger in the year of entry.
Marketing Innovation Award
Open to all fish and chip businesses.
Good Catch - The Sustainable Seafood Award
Open to all fish and chip businesses and rewarding environmentally responsible practices in the seafood that they use.
Healthy Eating ‘Fish and Chips’ Award
Rewarding businesses that are excelling in educating and informing their customers on healthy choices and the nutritional values of fish and chips.
NFFF Quality Award ‘Champion Award’
Open to all current National Federation of Fish Friers Quality Award holders.
‘Fish & Chip Friday’ - The School Meal Education Award
Open to entry from independent school catering operators and local council catering departments, and rewarding the serving of healthy fish and chips to school pupils.