V.A.Whitley & Co has drawn on over 75 years’ experience to put together a guide to help you make a consistently great batter.
Storage and Mixing …
- Always store your batter flour or mix in a cool dry place.
- Add the flour to the requisite amount of water (not the other way around!) and mix to a thin cream-like consistency.
- Do not leave your batter on the range or near heat except when in use.
- Always mix a fresh batch of batter before each opening.
- When mixing, always make sure that the water is really cold in hot weather, and tepid in very cold weather.
Coating and Frying …
- Ensure that your fish portions are drained of excess water content prior to battering.
- Remove any air bubbles that have been created during mixing, by stroking and standing, being especially careful if using frozen fish.
- Always fry at the correct temperature. A good guide is between 185 - 196°C.
- Place the cooked fish vertically on its end in the fish warmer. This way rising steam will only attack the batter seal at the end where it is strongest.